Irish dramatist. Pseudonym for John Keyes Byrne. Born in Dublin, 9 November
- The Italian Road (produced 1954).
- The Big Birthday (produced 1956).
- A Leap in the Dark (produced 1957).
- Madigan's Lock (produced 1958).
- A Walk on the Water (produced 1960).
- The Passion of Peter Ginty, adaptation of the play Peer Gynt by Ibsen
- Stephen D, adaptation of the works A Portrait of the Artist as a
Young Man and Stephen Hero by James Joyce (produced 1962)
- Dublin One, adaptation of the stories Dubliners by James Joyce (produced
- The Poker Session (produced 1963)
- The Family Way, adaptation of a play by Eugène Labiche (produced
- The Late Arrival of the Incoming Aircraft (televised 1964)
- A View from the Obelisk (televised 1964; produced 1983)
- The Saints Go Cycling In, adaptation of the novel The Dalkey Archives
by Flann O'Brien (produced 1965)
- Mick and Mick (produced 1966; as All the Nice People, produced 1976)
- A Time of Wolves and Tigers (televised 1967)
- The Quick, and The Dead (produced 1967).
- The Au Pair Man (produced 1968)
- The Barracks, adaptation of the novel by John McGahern (produced
- The Patrick Pearse Motel (produced 1971)
- Da (produced 1973) revised version, 1978.
- Summer (produced 1974). 1979.
- Suburb of Babylon (as Irishmen, produced 1975)
- Some of My Best Friends Are Husbands, adaptation of a play by Eugène
Labiche (produced 1976).
- Liam Liar, adaptation of the play Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse
and Willis Hall (produced 1976).
- Time Was (produced 1976).
- A Life (produced 1979)
- Kill (produced 1982).
- Pizzazz (produced 1983)
- Scorpions (produced
- The Mask of Moriarty, based on characters by Arthur Conan Doyle (produced
- Moving (produced 1992).
- Great Catherine, 1967;
- Interlude, with Lee Langley, 1967;
- Whirligig, 1970;
- Percy, with Terence Feely, 1970;
- Our Miss Fred,
- Widows' Peak, 1986;
- Da, 1989.
The Kennedys of Castleross series.
- The Irish Boys (trilogy), 1962;
- Saki series, 1962;
- A Kind of
- Jezebel Ex-UK series, 1963;
- The Second Wall, 1964;
- A Triple
- Realm of Error, 1964;
- My One True Love, 1964;
- The Late
Arrival of the Incoming Aircraft, 1964;
- Do You Play Requests?, 1964;
- A View
from the Obelisk, 1964;
- The Hidden Truth series, 1964;
- Undermind series,
- I Loved You Last Summer, 1965;
- Great Big Blond, 1965;
- Public Eye series, 1965;
- Simenon series: The Lodger and
- Insurrection (8 parts), 1966;
- Second Childhood, 1966;
- Silent Song, from a story by Frank O'Connor, 1966;
Liars series, 1966;
- The Informer series, 1966;
- Out of the Unknown series,
- A Time of Wolves and Tigers, 1967;
- Love Life, 1967;
- Great Expectations
(serialisation), from the novel by Dickens, 1967;
- Wuthering Heights (serialisation),
from the novel by Emily Brontë, 1967;
- No Such Things as a Vampire,
- The Corpse Can't Play, 1968;
- A Man and His Mother-in-Law, 1968;
- Assassin, 1968;
- Nicholas Nickleby (serialisation), from the novel by
- Conan Doyle series: A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of
the Baskervilles, 1968;
- Hunt the Peacock, from a novel by H.R.F. Keating,
- Talk of Angels, 1969;
- The Possessed (serialisation), from a novel
by Dostoevsky, 1969;
- Dombey and Son (serialisation), from the novel by
- Somerset Maugham series: P &
- O, 1969, and Jane, 1970;
- A Sentimental Education (serialisation), from a novel by Flaubert,
- The Sinners series, 1970-71;
- Me Mammy series, 1970-71;
- White Walls and
Olive Green Carpets, 1971;
- The Removal Person, 1971;
- Pandora, 1971;
- The Ghost o f Christmas Present, 1972;
- The Truth Game,
- Tales from the Lazy Acres series, 1972;
- The Moonstone (serialisation),
from the novel by Wilkie Collins, 1972;
- The Sullen Sisters, 1972;
Watercress Girl, from the story by H.E. Bates, 1972;
- The Higgler, 1973;
- High Kampf, 1973;
- Milo O'Shea, 1973;
- Stone Cold Sober, 1973;
- The Bitter
- Another Fine Mess, 1973;
- Judgement Day, 1973;
- The Travelling
- The Hammer of God, The Actor and the Alibi, The Eye of Apollo,
The Forbidden Garden, The Three Tools of Death, and The Quick One
(Father Brown series), 1974;
- London Belongs to Me, from the novel by Norman Collins,
- Bitter Suite, 1977;
- Teresa, The Fur Coat, and Two o f a Kind, from
stories by Sean O'Faolain, 1977;
- The Last Campaign, from the novel The
Captains and the Kings by Jennifer Johnston, 1978;
- The Ring and the Rose,
- Strumpet City, from the novel by James Plunkett, 1980;
- The Little
World of Don Camillo, from a novel by Giovanni Guareschi, 1981;
Behaviour, from a work by Molly Keane, 1983;
- O'Neill series, 1983;
Irish R.M. series, 1985;
- Hunted Down, from a story by Dickens, 1985;
- Troubles, 1987;
- Parnell and the Englishwoman (serialisation), from his
own novel, 1991.
Parnell and the Englishwoman. 1990.
Leonard's Last Book (essays). 1978. A Peculiar People and Other Foibles
(essays). 1979. Home Before Night: Memoirs of an Irish Time and Place.
1979. Leonard's Year (journalism). 1985. Out After Dark (memoirs). 1989.
Rover and Other Cats (memoirs). 1992.
Ten Modern Irish Playwrights by Kimball King, 1979.